Recurring blistering rash on instep

Hello, Doctor I’m more or less writing to you out of desperation, I would send attached photos of my soles, but it would be classed as gore. So basically it all started over a year ago, around a week or more after i used a callus-removing scholl scraper or something to that effect, as it happens. I noticed a blister. Thinking nothing of it, I peeled it and went away as they do. I noticed though, the skin underneath although new looked irritated and pink. I still thought nothing of it, but weeks later the skin felt dry, motionless and dead, detached from the other layers.. it was also itchy. when I scratched around, it peeled off with startling ease. but the blistering had spread across a larger area. this went on for months.. regeneration of skin only to have it fall away again, constant pain and inflammation throughout.. throbbing pain, hurting to walk on, turns white in water, and it spread all through the instep, the problem soon became a feature on the other foot, though not as severe. I went to 2 doctors and 3 dermatologists with it, they thought it must not be a fungal/bacteria issue, I must’ve had a skin reaction to shoes or socks. but I was dubious about this. they put me on many creams; canestan, novasone, eleuphrat, whitfield’s – none of them seem to have stopped the cycle. I already got rid of a pair of suspect shoes and had taken drastic measures as far as socks go, and although I predominantly wear flip flops now, my problem sole skin continues, I have noticed though one foot smells different to the other, more pungent and seems to sweat more (I do martial arts so i notice the wetness while barefoot). I am wondering if you or anyone else might know a) what my problem is and b) what can be done?

One Response


    Hello and thank you for your question. Ideally I’d like to see a picture of your foot but understand if you are not able or willing to send. Based on what you are referencing the Drs have always tried anti-fungals and steroid creams however nothing has been done from a bacterial perspective. It is possible to have super infections which means you have bacterial on top of fungal. The best way to determine this is to do a biopsy of the area. Has this been done yet? It can be done either by a scrape or punch biopsy. This should provide some additional information for the Drs. I hope this helps!

Leave a Reply