Painful lump on back of heel developed overnight

My husband fell asleep in a bed that was too short so his foot was propped on the footboard most of the night. He woke up the next day with a sore lump on the back of his heel. It’s very painful for him to walk and stairs are particularly painful. He’s been alternating heat and ice and taking ibuprofen. What do you think this is and what recommendations do you have. He did this on Saturday night and it’s now Monday and not getting any better. Thanks, Becky

2 Responses

  1. Foot-com

    I have something like this, and posted on this forums, ill post for you, as it took me a long long time to hear back from the Foot specialist on this forums… basically what I was told was, lumps on the back on your heel is indeed normal, (I have two bumps on both my heels). but only my right one is giving me bother, and it has gave me bother for months and months, I woke up one day with sore heel, just at first thought.. i hurt it will go away in a few weeks, few months later no go….

    Not sure if the bed caused this… but it sounds very much like my issue, mind you, it’s not super deadly painful and can still walk it’s now known as an annoyance more than anything., basically it can be Haglund deformity.. I don’t see how he could get that over night though… but still it’s basically bone enlargement, or possibly Achilles tendonitis or bursitis, but honestly…. if you’re icing… forget ice cubes.. found them useless, get a ICE GEL PACK, not only can you cool it, but heat it as well… but in this case i’d say cooling it is the best option… not an expert or anything… but thought i’d put some input in, as you may be waiting awhile for a better response.

  2. Foot-com

    Thank you for your question. Sounds like your husband is experiencing Achilles bursitis or tendonitis. We have a bursa or fluid filled sac behind the bony prominence.

    What I recommend is icing not heat – 15 minutes on/15 minutes off. NSAIDs such as Advil or Aleve. And to avoid wearing shoes that have a stiff heel counter, ideally open back shoes. If this does not resolve in 2 weeks I recommend seeing a Podiatrist who can do a steroid (cortisone) injection to the bursa.

    Good luck!

    Dr. Emily Splichal
    Please be advised: we do not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
    By law, we cannot give specific medical advice over the Internet.

Leave a Reply