Growing foot pain

I have had a small bunion on my right foot since childhood (probably from wearing hand me down shoes). I haven’t had any trouble with it until recently. I am now 41 and I have noticed that when I walk around the yard or stand for a period of time, I have burning pain through the top of my foot. I have also noticed a painful bump that has grown at the base of my Achilles tendon over the past month. It is very sensitive to the touch and anti-inflammatories aren’t helping. The pain pretty much started when this lump showed up.

I do not wear heels or tight fitting shoes. Most of the time, I am barefoot or in tennis shoes.

I don’t want to go to the doctor for un-necessary test if there is something at home I can try first.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

–Need Relief

One Response

  1. Foot-com

    Hello and thank you for your question. Without examining your foot it is hard for me to say exactly however it sounds like you are describing Achilles / retrocalcaneal bursitis.

    A bursa is a fluid filled sac over bony prominences in the body. If there is excess pressure the bursa can get inflamed and be very painful. Oral anti-inflammatories work moderately well for this. I’d recommend trying topical anti-inflammatories or seeing a doctor to consider a steroid injection.

    Other things you can do is avoid pressure to the area which includes foot position, how you sleep, and shoes. You can also ice the area for 15 minutes on / 15 minutes off a couple times a day.

    I hope this helps!

    Dr. Emily Splichal
    Please be advised: we do not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
    By law, we cannot give specific medical advice over the Internet.

Leave a Reply