Dull and Diffuse Ache in my Foot

For the past several months I noticed a very minor dull and diffuse ache in my left foot, located deep in the tissue between my heel and arch. This minor ache has now increased to significant pain. After reading a good deal of info on the internet I concluded this must be plantar fasciitis.

What is the best over the counter option to use that helps reduce this inflammation and take away my foot pain? Thanks.

One Response

  1. Foot-com

    Hello and thank you for your question.

    Plantar fasciitis is a type of heel pain that is localized the bottom of the heel towards the back of the arch. Pain is typically sharp and felt with first steps in the morning or after a period of sitting. Initial treatment for plantar fasciitis requires stretching the calves, icing, supportive footwear and orthotics and inflammation control.

    For anti-inflammatory benefit you can use OTC NSAIDs including Advil, Aleve or aspirin but do make sure you take these medications with food. In addition, you want to make sure that you are stretching your calves and rolling the bottom of your foot.

    If your heel pain persists after 2 weeks of anti-inflammatories and stretching, then I would see a Podiatrist who can better evaluate you and determine if additional treatment options are necessary.

    I hope this helps!

    Dr. Emily Splichal
    Please be advised: we do not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
    By law, we cannot give specific medical advice over the Internet.

Leave a Reply