Bottom of foot, calf, shins extreme pain while running

Hello Dr. Emily
This is my first time posting. I have extreme amounts of pain that start on the bottom of my foot in the mid section. (high arch) then move its way up to back of calf and front of shin. I usually can do a light jog for roughly 2 songs (5-6 min) before i have to walk for a while. Cardio wise i can handle it easily and am frustrated that it hurts too bad that i cant continue. I usually try to run through it after a walk and most often results in me limping home.

I am a 23 year old male at 225lbs with no inuries that would have caused this. the only bone i ever broke was a finger.
Ive tried buying running shoes for high arches and adding insoles to it but that helped only slightly.
my questions are:

1)Why is this happening?

2) what can i do ( if anything ) to make this go away?

let me know if there is any additional information that you need, i posted everything i thought was relevant.

Thank you

One Response

  1. Foot-com

    Hello and thank you for your question.

    Sounds like you may have posterior tibial tendonitis, plantar fasciitis or a combination of the two. Most soft tissue injuries like that of which you are describing are treated initially the same anyways. What I would do is

    Stop anything that involves impact (running, jumping) for 1-2 weeks.

    Begin myofascially releasing (foam rolling) your calves and lower leg every day for 5-10 minutes.

    Roll the bottom of the foot on a golf ball/tennis ball etc for at least 5 minutes

    Take an anti-inflammatory such as Advil, Aleve, and Motrin for 1 week.
    These soft tissue injuries often happen related to impact and a lack of tissue elasticity to take that much impact.

    Once your pain decreases, begin to focus more on flexibility, myofascial release and what’s called eccentric training. A great exercise I have my runners do is walking backwards on a treadmill. This teaches the foot/body to decelerate. If your pain persists after doing the above for 2 weeks, I would see a podiatrist.

    I hope this helps!
    Dr. Emily Splichal
    Please be advised: we do not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
    By law, we cannot give specific medical advice over the Internet.

Leave a Reply