Athlete’s Foot

I go to the gym and run outside a lot and my feet tend to sweat. I’ve started to develop a lot of red skin around my toes that hurts and feels raw. The normal anti-fungal cream I bought is not working too well. Is this an infection? At what point should I stop treating it myself and go see a doctor? Thank you!

One Response

  1. Foot-com

    Thank you for your question.

    Depending on the location of the foot, not all fungal infections are treated the same. For fungal infections between the toes you actually want to use a gel-based anti-fungal medication which is better at keeping the area dry.

    There are several new toe-specific medications on the market which can be prescirbed by a Podiatrist and work very well.

    To prevent future fungal outbreaks you want to try to keep your feet as dry as possible, use a foot power or drying agent such as Dri-Sol. Also never re-use socks after you’ve sweated in them once. I hope this helps!

    Dr. Emily Splichal
    Please be advised: we do not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
    By law, we cannot give specific medical advice over the Internet.

Leave a Reply